I’ve been thinking a lot lately about gratitude. I read somewhere, in a book or online, that gratitude is the key to happiness. That resonated with me. We get so caught up in the bad, that we totally forget about all the good in our lives to be thankful for. So for the past couple of weeks I’ve been reciting what I’m grateful for in my life before bed. It keeps me in check, puts the bad vs. good in perspective. Just to share, here are a few things I am deeply grateful for in my life right now:
1. My vision (eyesight, that is). I can see, though not very well, I still can see the beautiful sunset, the ocean, my niece and nephew laughing and playing, etc. From a person who has “complicated” vision, I can tell you that it is priceless to be able to see. Through two years of exams, surgery, and Lasik scheduled soon, I’m on track to being able to see better. And this I am thankful for beyond words.
2. My friends and family. Though I don’t have a big family or a ton of friends, I’m thankful for those in my life who care for me, and I for them.
3. My cat. Ha! He makes me laugh, he satisfies my need to take care of something, and keeps me company when I’m alone.
4. My job. It keeps a roof over my head, bills paid, and food on the table. Maybe it’s not my dream, but it’s been paving the way towards it everyday and every paycheck.
5. My apartment and my car. For the first time in my life, I feel secure where I live and with the car I have. Neither are extravagant by any means, but I love my new place, and I love not worrying about my car breaking down everyday. It’s peaceful right now, and I need peace in my life.
What are you grateful for in your life? Take a couple of minutes and make a small list either on paper or quietly in your mind. Recite that list to yourself whenever you are feeling overwhelmed by the bad. It helps, it really does.